Marine Corps Ball Dresses: Do's And Don'ts 2018 Version




Silver Sequined Short Sleeve Dress  // One Shoulder Sequined Gown  // Black Sequin Gown  // Grey Beaded Short Sleeve Gown // Navy Ruffle Gown  // Black CrissCross Neck Gown  // Red Off Shoulder Gown //  Tulle A line Gown  // Pink Off Shoulder Gown  // Navy Halter Neck Gown



I realize I made this post very late this year, and it's because our Ball is going to be later than usual...
the Marine Corps Ball is held usually around the actual Marine Corps Birthday/Veteran's Day, but some units do their Balls later...

Anyways, back to the dresses. I forgot to mention the fact that all these dresses here are under $188.
I refuse to spend more than $200 for a dress that I'm going to wear once for only a few hours.
With that being said, if I was stateside, I would definitely use renttherunway.com because you just "borrow" the dress, and send it back. Since I am overseas, I can't use that service, so I try my best to find nice dresses that ship to FPO/AP military addresses...

The dresses I chose above are the perfect modern choices for 2018, for all personalities and styles. Some are glamorous with lots of sequin and bling, some are more softer and romantic, with ruffles and softer colors, and the rest are a few "classics" like the red and navy dresses...

Let's start with the DON'TS:



1.) Don't. Wear. A. Short. Dress.
Short dresses are NOT formal dresses. I don't understand why some women don't understand this.
Cocktail dresses are NOT formal dresses. Formal dresses are LONG dresses.

2.) Don't Wear A "Club" Dress.
Please. Don't. In case you don't know what a club dress is, it's a dress you wear to the club.
Usually short, revealing and sometimes downright skanky. There is a time and place for
skankiness and the Marine Corps Ball is NOT one of them.

3.) Please Hide Your Boobs And Your Legs. Or At Least Limit The Exposure. 
Especially if you have gargantuan boobs. More than likely, everyone already knows you have them and this is NOT the time to show them off. Same with legs. I know many dresses have deep slits, but it's fine as long as you don't constantly stick your bare leg or legs out...the look we're going for is classy, not trashy...

(And unfortunately, I've been scrolling through Instagram and all I see are BOOBS and LEGS with
crazy high slits... *Insert Shrugging Emoji* )

4.) Stay Away From Crazy Colors/Prints...
I say this because I've seen formal dresses in the strangest colors and prints...and while for other
occasions they might be great, like a fashion event or something other than a formal event, they are realllllly bad for a formal event like the Marine Corps Ball...anything too crazy and colorful will definitely clash with your husband's dress blues...what I mean by "crazy" colors, I mean neon colors, and crazy, head to toe flower printed dresses...and with that, let's go to the do's...


DO'S:

1.) Wear Pretty Colors. 

I know everyone has their own take on what "pretty colors" are, but as far as "pretty colors" for
Marine Corps Ball dresses, they are:

Red, Navy Blue, Royal Blue, Black, Emerald or Forest Green, Silver, Gold, White, Beige, Gray, and any other pastel or pale color you can think of...

Other colors that are different and nice, but could go wrong depending on the dress and details are:
Yellow, Purple, Pink, Magenta, Orange, etc...
These are tough color decisions and like I said, I've seen some that are nice, and some that are horrible and tacky. I think the simpler they are for these colors, the better. The less details the better.
If you are wanting to find a dress in this color, just choose carefully...

2.) Fix Your Hair, And Your Face. 
Please. I wish I could say this should go without saying (like most of the do's and don'ts here) but
it still HAS to be said.... :(
I understand more women now like to be "natural" and there's nothing wrong with that...
except for a formal event, can you at least wear some lipstick? Or lipgloss? Or even just some freakin' lip balm?! Or just a little bit of eyeliner or mascara? Something. Even if it's just one item.

And your hair?

At least do SOMETHING. Don't just brush and go. Curls. Simple up-do. Side swept ponytail. Flat iron straight. Something. Look on pinterest, there's a million ideas for formal hair.


 3.) Pay Attention To The Material And Length Of The Dress...
Of course this goes without saying if you're actually trying the dress on in person, but this is more for people like me who always buy these dresses online....

When you're looking for a dress, always look at the size guide and details of the dress.

If the dress doesn't offer this information I will look elsewhere, or I might give it a chance if 
I read enough reviews from other people...

The materials of the dress matter because COMFORT! I've been to enough Balls to know that this is important, even if it is only for a few hours...for example, you don't want to be bothered with materials that itch or scratch like for example some sequin gowns, or beaded top areas, etc...

Another example is boob area...if you have small boobs like me, you need to make sure that area is taken care of...and that means finding a dress that fits properly in that area. You don't want to be constantly tugging and pulling or adjusting... certain dresses require big boobs and some don't...you just have to choose accordingly...

And most importantly: PAY ATTENTION TO THE LENGTH OF THE DRESS.

If you're average sized like me or shorter, (5'4 1/2) you will most like have to get your dress hemmed/altered because apparently formal dresses are made only for tall people...

I've managed to find some that don't require any alterations by carefully studying the dress size guides with these details...every dress is different so you HAVE to look up the details of the dress if it is provided...if their are details available, I usually try to read the reviews and if there is no info, then I usually just look somewhere else...


4.) Wear The Right Shoes...

Again...to me comfort matters. But, even with my altered dresses, I usually have to wear 4 inch heels...and since my dress will be long enough I usually choose platform wedge sandals...not really formal shoes but no one can see it under my dress anyway and it gets the job done...BUT if I wear a dress that shows my feet, I will obviously choose prettier heels...

So to this I say choose wisely: With dresses that show feet, choose the prettiest bling bling heels and get a pedicure...

With super long dresses that don't show feet...I say choose something that gives you height and can be somewhat more comfy like a wedge or platform heel...or whatever you want because really, no one will see your feet, even when you sit down....well only those weird foot fetish people might be looking but let's just hope they're not around....

With all of that being said though, sometimes it's actually best to just stick to a basic strappy heel in black, gold, silver or whatever color that will go with your dress...it doesn't HAVE to be a crazy bling bling shoe like I mentioned earlier...


Have fun at the Ball. Take lots of pictures. Don't forget to take back pictures if the back of your dress has awesome details. Don't be ashamed to take a million pictures. You'll regret it if you don't. 
It's not EVERYDAY you get to get dressed up in a fancy dress with your hubby/boyfriend/girlfriend etc....

(I know Ball season is mostly over for most of us but, just in case you are still looking last minute...)

HAPPY DRESS SHOPPING!!! 










No comments