Christmas in Haiti

Hi everyone! We just returned home a few days ago, sorry for the absence. Like the title says, we spent Christmas in Haiti. It was my first time in Haiti, and also my kids. My husband's family is from Haiti, and we had a great time! My sister in law took great care of us, showed us around, and made sure we had the time of our lives. I'm so thankful for her, and I hope she knows how much I love her! :)






A few pics from inside the new airport in Haiti.

Beautiful Haitian art.


My first beverage and meal in Haiti: Cherry juice, and chicken and rice with plantains. Let me tell you: the juice is like no other juice I've ever tasted...and the chicken too. If you've ever been to the Caribbeans, you'll know what I'm talking about. I've been to the Dominican Republic too, and the food over there is outta this world too!


I fell in love with this Haitian soda called "Cola Couronne". Even the Coke tasted better here!



Haitian ice cream, and the kids inhaling it. lol


We are eating "Mais Moulin" ( a Haitian dish made with cornmeal)


This is a coconut tree that grows inside my inlaws house through the roof!! 


 Our first night out: We went to see a live performance of a very famous Haitian band, RAM.

What a good time!!!



Some pics from the kids Christmas party. My sis in law decorated with a purple and silver theme. :) Beautiful!



My youngest daughter ready for the Christmas party. :)



 


Santa finally arrives at the party!
                         



My oldest daughter and son with Santa :) 



2nd night out :)




There was an Irish pub in Haiti!!!






                                                                        Beach Day!!


















                Our last night out: We went to see a famous Haitian band do a reunion performance. :)




We spent 10 days in Haiti, and between our regular camera and my phone pictures, we have over 1000 pictures!! Haiti was an experience, and to me, one of the most beautiful countries in the world. The food, the people, the culture, the history...I love everything about it. It's unfortunate that the media portrays Haiti in a certain way, and many people only see the stereotypes. But, beyond the crowded streets, and chaotic traffic in Port-Au-Prince, lies a rich culture: friendly, hardworking people...artistic people who create masterpieces by using unusual objects. Musicians who play live traditional music till the early hours of the morning. People singing and enjoying life. Many vehicles and buses painted with the words, "We love Jesus" and "In God We Trust". There is a certain amount of optimism and "positive vibe" that I felt when I was there, that I don't feel in other places. Maybe this sounds naive to many Haitians, and it might be seen as just a view from an "outsider"...but after all Haiti has been through, Haiti still has that spirit and it's still being kept alive. To look at Haiti in its entirety, I saw hope, faith and perseverance. I'm so happy that my children were able to visit and experience the country of my husband and his family.

                                                                               XOXO


                                                                           Linkups:

                                                                  :pleated poppy

4 comments

  1. What wonderful pictures, your children look so cute! The food looks delicious and the way your sister in law decorated is gorgeous! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes my sis in law loves to plan for parties and decorate!! :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great place. Would love it if you could check out my blog :)
    I have followed you :)

    http://megansfashionalphabet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm following you on gfc and bloglovin'.

      Delete